Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program Waiting List Opened until THIS FRIDAY
The Housing Choice Voucher Program is HUD’s largest rental assistance program. Approved households use vouchers to help pay the rent on privately owned homes of their choosing. A household receiving a voucher must pay at least 30% of its monthly adjusted gross income for rent and utilities. Funding is limited, and not all eligible households can be assisted. The DCA’s statewide program is accepting applications to be added to their waiting list.
New Jersey residents aged 18 and above. Preference will be given to applicants in the following categories: Veterans, Homeless, Disabled, Domestic Violence, and Local Residents. Applicants should select all preferences that apply to them.
At the time of selection from the waiting list, applicants will have to meet the income limits in the county where they live. *See chart:
Until THIS FRIDAY, February 3, 2023, at 5:00 PM!
Applications will be accepted ONLINE ONLY at this link:
Information needed when applying:
Names, social security numbers, birthdates, and income information for all individuals living in the household. An email address is required.
- One application per household will be accepted.
- 20,000 applications will be selected by random lottery to be placed on the waiting list. All applications submitted during the application period will have an equal chance of being selected. Any application not selected in the lottery will be discarded. Being added to the waiting list does not mean you will receive a voucher right away.
- If a parent submits a pre-application for their household, which includes adult children, anyone age 18 or above living in the house may also apply on their own.
- This program is independent of any other housing assistance program.
- Status of applications will be posted at: https://WaitlistCheck.com after February 24, 2023. At this site, you can verify if you were selected and placed on the waiting list. Individuals who were accepted to a waiting list via the lottery will have an “active” status. If you were not selected your status will be “inactive.”
- For additional information, visit https://nj.gov/dca/vouchers.html
For further information, please contact the JFS Resource Center at [email protected] or call 973-777-7638 x614.