Working It Out
Working It Out is a pre-vocational on the job experience which enables individuals with special needs to begin the journey to vocationally meaningful opportunities.
- Clients receive a vocational evaluation to help assess strengths and weaknesses.
- Client’s progress is periodically re-assessed to keep up with meeting goals
- Exposure to various vocational settings and experiences helps clients learn his or her own strengths and weaknesses and work setting preferences.
- Some available job opportunities:
- Maintenance and upkeep of the Jewish Family Service garden (learning how to take care of the garden, growing fruits and vegetables, etc)
- Maintenance work (setting up coffee room, re-stocking)
- Setting up the shul on a daily basis
- Working with seniors (serving lunch, playing games with them to enhance social skills)
- Filing and office help
- Food pantry (sorting, stocking shelves, cleaning out the fridge, being able to identify kosher/non-kosher, preparing the pantry for the following day including breaking down boxes for recycling, assisting shoppers to their cars
- Exposure to various types of people and social situations
- Clients develop peer relationships
To learn more about the Working It Out program, please call 973-777-7638.