Low-Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP)
New assistance is available to help New Jersey households pay past-due water and sewer bills. A one-time grant of up to $2,400 will be provided.
- Households with past-due water and/or sewer balances with a limited annual income.
- Participants in the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) are automatically eligible for LIHWAP assistance if they are water or sewer bill holders. They still need to apply.
- The water or sewer bills must be in the name of an adult residing in the home or the landlord’s name. If in the landlord’s name, provide a lease showing that the cost of water is included in the rental obligation.
- At least one household member must be a US Citizen, legal permanent resident, qualified alien, or US non-citizen national.
Visit njdca-housing.dynamics365portals.us/en-us/dcaid-services/ to apply, and for more information.
- Benefits will be based on the exact amount owed to the utility company, including reconnection, delinquency, and service fees. If you do not have a past-due balance, you do not qualify. Payments will be made directly to the water and sewer vendors.
- Benefits will be provided to eligible households until funding is exhausted.
- You do not need a COVID-19 related impact to be eligible for the LIHWAP program.
- For additional information, visit njdca-housing.dynamics365portals.us/lihwapfaq