Affordable New Jersey Communities for Homeowners and Renters (ANCHOR)
This new program will provide property tax relief to New Jersey residents who owned or rented their principal residence on October 1, 2019, and meet income limits.
- Homeowners with a 2019 New Jersey gross income of $250,000 or less if, on October 1, 2019, they owned, occupied, and paid taxes on a home, condominium, cooperative housing complex, or continuing care unit.
- Tenants with a 2019 New Jersey gross income of $150,000 or less if, on October 1, 2019, they:
- Rented a house, apartment, condo, or mobile home that was subject to local property taxes; AND
- Paid rent; AND
- Their name was on the lease or rental agreement.
The benefit is calculated using your 2019 New Jersey Gross Income. Homeowners with incomes up to $150,000 will receive $1,500, and homeowners with incomes up to $250,000 will receive $1,000. Renters with incomes up to $150,000 will receive $450.
Visit https://www1.state.nj.us/TYTR_Saver/jsp/common/HBWelcome.jsp to apply. The application deadline is December 30, 2022.
Homeowners will receive an Identification Number and PIN in the mail. You will need that to apply. If you do not receive a 2019 ANCHOR mailer by the end of September and you owned a residence in New Jersey on October 1, 2019 that was your main home, call 1-888-238-1233 for assistance.
- ANCHOR benefits are expected to be paid in May 2023. During the filing process, you will select if you want your benefit paid as a direct deposit or by paper check.
- A principal residence (main home) means a residence you occupied as your permanent home.
- If you were not a homeowner on October 1, 2019, you are not eligible for a homeowner benefit, even if you owned a home for part of the year.
- You are not eligible for a benefit for a vacation home, a “second home,” or a property you owned and rented to someone else. If you owned more than one property in New Jersey, only apply for the property that was your main home on October 1, 2019.
- The total amount of all property tax relief benefits you receive cannot be more than the property taxes paid on your main home for the same year (including ANCHOR benefit, Senior Freeze, Property Tax Deduction for senior citizens/disabled persons, and Property Tax Deduction for veterans).
- To file, you will need – Social Security Numbers (or TIN) and dates of birth for you and your spouse, New Jersey gross income from Line 29 of your 2019 NJ-1040, and your 2019 filing status.
- For additional information and answers to frequently asked questions, visit https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/anchor/index.shtml
PLEASE NOTE: Passaic County mailing will begin on September 26, 2022 and emails will begin on September 27, 2022
Call 1-888-238-1233 if you do not receive your 2019 Anchor Filing Info within 10 business days.
You CANNOT apply online to get your ID and PIN – it will be mailed or emailed.
For further information, please contact the JFS Resource Center at [email protected] or call 973-777-7638 x614.